Loreto is a lovely hill town situated in the Marche region of Italy, not far from the port town of Ancona. It is home to the site of the Holy House of the Holy Family, which was carried by angels from Nazareth to Loreto as it was about to be destroyed by Holy Land invaders.
The Holy House of Nazareth, where the Annunciation was made to Our Lady, is now located here inside the Basilica of the Holy House. Known as “The Translation”, the angelic flight of the Holy House from Nazareth across the Mediterranean to Loreto mirrors the flight of the Holy Family into Egypt.
- Currency: Euro (€, EUR)
- Local time: GMT +1 hour
- Airports: Naples (NAP); Rome (FCO); Bologna (BLQ); Venice (VCE)
- Languages: Italian; many people speak English
- Climate: Mediterranean climate with long hot summers and short mild winters
- Voltage: 230V A/C, Sockets outlets and sockets of Type and Type F 2 pin, and Type L 3 pin are used.
- Visa: not required for EU citizens; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities
- Passport: EU passport holders travelling to Italy must have an up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities